Wednesday 21 September 2011

Root of the Madder

Well a wonderful place out of time called Pensic allowed me to pick up all of the mordents that I could need for my early experiments.   Also, I have been enchanted while searching the web, by all of the examples of madder dyeing I had seen, so in the same booth I picked up a 4 oz bag.

 Now, not having a good idea of the concentrations need for many of these experiments I have been using a 1 part fiber (by weight) to 8 parts fresh plant materials.   With this being a dry and fairly concentrated dye stuff I went with 1:1 ratio with the dried, powdered roots.

So the steps...

  • mordent wool 115 g and 15g cotton with 1 tbls of alum 1 hr
  • bring powdered madder (4 oz) in a silk bag up to just under 80'c but no higher, over 1.5hr in water with 1 tbs washing soda




  • add wool keep at below 80'c 1 hr, open bag 1hr let cool over night


  • squeeze out excess and dry, shake out root dust when dry, wash and then dry again

madder, last two on far right
Now this was not as dark as I would have liked, but I have read in a few places that the longer you mordent your fibers the better the dye is taken up, especially with madder.  So just for the heck of it I froze my very dark red dyebath and I will follow the advise of a few recipes and mordent my wool for a few weeks (yikes).  Though I may stage it up so that in one dyebath I can show yarns that have been in the mordent bucket for 1, 2 and 3 weeks.  This could be a real/interesting experiment, now to find a spare bucket.

No comments:

Post a Comment