Friday 20 January 2012

How Did My Garden Grow?

Well it had a few things all in a row, but mostly the vegetables were done in a square foot gardening method and I was quite pleased with it on the whole, for getting a lot of food out of a compact area with next to no weeding required.


  I built the boxes 5x5'each, in untreated 12x2" spruce and that went rather well.  Filled them about half full of soil and then I ran out of energy time and money so I figure to fill them the rest of the way, early next spring.   The soil mix is about 1 part peat, 2 parts compost, 1 part vermiculite that is placed on top of the existing soil which had been tarped off all winter to kill the grass.   Drilled some holes to run the marking string through put up the tomato spirals and planted away.  Everything was seeded in place except for the peppers and tomatoes and basil.


















I netted in the front two beds because the squirrels were digging around in them. the plus signs on the bottom two are filled with flax.

















All these beds are thinned to the correct density in each square foot at this point, and there are baby greens aplenty for salads.

















Ok now it's really going, the tomatoes are wilting due to too much water, the zucchinis have exploded and I'm finding the daikon quick to bolt and set seed.


The above shot was taken in early sept... the sunflowers along the fence are all cutback and there are tomatoes dropping like rain so I'm sunning them on the side tables of the bbq in the background.  The flax was pulled up in August giving the broccoli lots of room to fall over in the bottom left bed. 

Dec 31st Leeks and broccoli are still going... 

As is the rainbow chard
Though I pulled them all up and turned them into soup that afternoon.


My tenderly harvested garlic decides it's time to sprout in my basement, fine, I say that means you are getting planted!  All 79 cloves of you, in various corners of the gardens.  A fine way to end 2011!

No comments:

Post a Comment