Sunday 16 October 2011

Onions are no reason to cry


I've been wanting to try this for a while, but I had to wait to pull the last of the onions up out of the garden before I had enough skins to make my 10:1 ratio.

The golden orange hues I've seen online were more than enough incentive for me to wait till I had enough saved to make a lovely, deep colour.  I was in no way disappointed by my results.  The silk was my favorite, making and rich coppery sheen, the cotton was and bit mellow for my tastes but that's the way cotton is sometimes.


  • Set 50 gr onion skins in hot water, keep on low 5 hrs


Onion skins on the low just before straining



  • Mordent 30 g wool 12 g cotton, 1 hr

  • Strain out onion skins

  • Simmer together 1 hr, soak over night




  • Wring out in morning
  • Wash and dry again

Onion skin on silk cotton and wool


No comments:

Post a Comment